Graduate from Nottingham Trent University in Environmental Conservation with a 2:1 (Hons), currently looking for experience in Countryside related the sector. Particularly interested in areas such as education, rights of way, and GIS.
Nottingham Trent University September 2015- June 2018
BSc (Hons) Environmental Conservation 2:1
FdSc Environmental Conservation and Countryside Management Merit
This course included modules such as Wildlife Surveying, in which the correct techniques for surveying and, identification flora and fauna. A module on Practical Conservation focused on real work experience and practices, such as maintenance of machinery, what is involved with risk assessments and how to create them on along with techniques similar to tools talks to reduce the risk. This course has also included modules such as Applied Habitat Management, Ecology: Terrestrial and Water, Environmental Assessment and Monitoring, and Landscapes and Land Use to name a few. Please ask for a full transcript
RHS Qualifications (or Equivalent)
Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust
• Sea buckthorn (Hippophae) cleaning- the importance of following the correct health and safety protocols, how to engage my peers into using more communication between themselves to improve the working environment
• Raking up cut grass on a wildflower meadow- helped to place theory into a practical setting in terms of controlling nutrient levels.
National Trust Working Holidays
• Working on erecting new stock proof fencing- learning about how to tension the wire correctly, how to put up a straining post and how they work, and additionally improving my commutation skills with people of all ages and backgrounds.
• Rhododendron clearing using hand tools- transferable skills from clearing Sea buckthorn, improving hand tool knowledge and confidence, how to clear large areas safely.
Notts Wildlife Trust
• Cleaning out Dormouse (Muscardinus avellanarius) nest boxes, coppicing, and creating dead hedges- improving comprehension of how multiple management techniques should be used to attain an objective, understanding of licenses that must be obtained to handle some wildlife in the UK.
NTU Volunteering- Conservation on Planet Earth
• Delivering presentations to Year 3 students- Learning who to adapt knowledge to different skill levels. Improving presentation skills to audiences.
• Helping to look after lamb and ewes when inside for lambing- a greater understanding of sheeps behavior, how to tell if a lamb is healthy and strong or not, how to bottle and tube feed lambs correctly. When it is appropriate to remove a lamb from the ewe.
Other skills learnt thought Volunteering
Hedgehog Surveying, Hedgelaying, Willow coppicing, and pond clearing to name a few
Register an account with Countryside Careers to access contact details.